Friday, October 29, 2010

Wind Storm Sweeping Through the Midwest

 



These are images of what happened in my family's yard when the wind storm passed through my hometown, Green Bay, on October 26.  Luckily, it missed our garage.  My family also told me that it knocked down a cable leading to our house.  They mentioned that they were without power and the phone line was down for a day or two.  The Wisconsin Public Service in Green Bay said there were more than 60,000 without power, but that has been reduced to 32,000 as of Thursday morning.  This wind storm did not cause damage to Green Bay alone, it caused damage throughout Wisconsin.  On Wednesday, the National Weather Service said this wind storm was the most powerful nontropical windstorm measured over the mainland U.S.  This is equivalent to what can be found in a category 3 hurricane.  I agree that this was some strong winds we had passing through.  I remeber some people saying that they felt like the wind was going to blow them away.  What surprises me most about this event is that if it was over the ocean, it would be a category 3 hurricane.  I'm glad to hear that repair teams got out quickly and got people's powers running again.

1 comment:

  1. I really like those pictures you put up. You're family is lucky that none of these tree limbs hurt anyone or damaged your house. It's sometimes hard to think something as stron as a tree and be blown apart by wind and cause more damage.

    ReplyDelete