Sunday, October 10, 2010

Earthquake in Indonesia

According to the USGS, a 6.3 magnitude earthquake hit off Indonesia's North Maluku province on Friday.  There is no damage expected because its epicenter was deep in the sea.  Indonesia is where the meeting of continental plates cause high volcanic and seismic activity, and the archipelago is frequently struck by powerful earthquakes. 

I feel like when you live in areas like this, earthquakes are something that you should be aware of.  I think living in Wisconsin there isn't too much to worry about, which I think is a good thing.  We don't have to worry about preparing for such events.  However, the down side of it is that when something like a flood or tornado hits we still have a harder time preparing for it.  Growing up in Wisconsin the only thing I ever really remember happening was having Tornado warnings.  I do recall when I was younger there was a pretty bad flood back in my hometown, where cars could not get around at all because the roads were flooded.

No comments:

Post a Comment